On this blog post, we’ll be discussing key characteristics every top-level manager should possess. For a person can be tagged a good leader, he or she must possess certain skills.
Leadership is both a research area and a practical skill encompassing the ability of an individual or organization to “lead” or guide other individuals, teams, or entire organizations. Leadership can be perceived as a particularly emotion-laden process, with emotions entwined with the social influence process. In an organization, the leader’s mood has some effects on his/her group
Below are 5 skills every good leader should possess.
- Approach: first of all, for someone to be appointed a leader, he or she has been given a group of people to manage and direct towards the achievement of a common goal. A good leader should be capable of effectively communicating to each person in his team. A way of achieving that is by understanding the different types of people in his team. Because the team would be made up of people with different cultural backgrounds, have various ways they respond to pressure and have different personality traits, he has to devise a means to approach each of them.
- Inspire: This involves the ability to sell the vision of the project a hand to the team, make them understand how vital their efforts are to its success and continue to give them reasons to put in more effort in their work.
- Positive attitude: When things are not going as planned, a good leader should be able to encourage his team members, keep them focused on the task at hand and make them see the bigger picture.
- Delegate: A good leader should learn to delegate tasks. He should drop the spirit of doing everything himself, as this could lead to team members feeling left out and losing focus.
- Unbiased: Being unbiased involves being able to make decisions based on fact and not emotion. He should appoint team members in roles based on their skill/ ability / expertise at carrying out the task and punish defaulting team members without thinking twice about it.